Tofu Breakfast Baskets
♫ Listening to: Lose Yourself to Dance by Daft Punk ♫
Vegan Tofu Breakfast Baskets Ingredients
- 2 pounds extra firm organic tofu*
- ½ pound spinach, kale, or other greens
- 1 8-10 ounce package of mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons nooch
- 1 tablespoon braggs liquid aminos (you can sub soy sauce if needed)
- ¼ cup water
- vegan phyllo dough
Vegan Tofu Breakfast Baskets Directions
Sauté the onion on medium-high heat in the olive oil.
Drain the water from the tofu. This can either be easy (if you have a tofu press) or a workout (if you have to place the tofu in a kitchen towel and squeeze all the water out by hand).
Add the tofu to the onion and stir well. Reduce heat to medium.
Wash and slice the mushrooms, removing and composting the stems. Add them to the pot. Stir often.
Add spinach or other chopped greens to the pot. Stir often.
Mix the spices (1 teaspoon pink sea salt or any salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon curry powder, ½ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon basil, 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce, and 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- aka nooch) in a jar or cup with ¼ cup water. I usually put it all into a jar, tighten the lid, and shake.
Pour seasoning sauce over the tofu scramble and stir well. Reduce heat to low.
Cut 4 inch squares of phyllo dough using sharp kitchen scissors. Be careful during this step. If you haven’t used phyllo before, it’s like trying to work with wet tissue paper…very delicate. You’ll be using 4 squares per basket, so you can calculate how many you’ll need to cut that way.
Brush olive oil all over each layer of phyllo with a silicone basting brush before stacking them together.
Stack 4 pieces on top of each other, either aligned as squares or staggered the way I did.
Lay the 4 layers over a cupcake/muffin tin cubby, and fill with ¼ cup of tofu scramble.
Close the baskets by folding the edges of the phyllo toward the center, like you’re wrapping a present.
Bake according to the directions on the packaging for the phyllo dough.
* I use mostly organic ingredients when I cook, but I realize that not everyone has the disposable income to purchase all organic ingredients. Therefore, I only specify organic on the ingredients that really matter - when buying the organic version is the only way to ensure that the item is vegan.
Rating:⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐HeavyDoseOfLavender -⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ HistoryLessons62 -⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ doughytub -⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ kittheren -⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ pepperohni -⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ midazo-lam -⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ saturatedsilence -⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ tropicalswamp -⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐