♫ Listening to: Take Me Over by Cut Copy ♫
Hot pockets were one of those foods my parents would never buy, which made me want them even more. When I got older, I had a calzone, which I thought was a huge hot pocket, but turned out to be filled with ricotta instead of mozzarella…gross! I somehow managed to make this mostly out of ingredients I bought from Costco (except for the yeast, which I always have at home because it stays good in the fridge for like ever and takes up a teeny tiny amount of room). You can also make lots of these and freeze them for future lunches.
Vegan Pizza Dough Ingredients:
- 5 cups white flour (costco has organic unbleached)
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoon sugar (costco has organic)
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt (costco has pink sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yst (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional, but costco has organic)
Vegan Pizza Dough Directions:
Mix the yeast, water, and sugar in large bowl. Add 3 cups of the flour. Mix well to blend.
Add the oil, salt, garlic, nutritional yeast, and remaining flour and stir well.
Place the dough to a flour covered board. Dust your hands with flour.
Knead for 5 minutes, adding flour if it gets too sticky. Roll dough into a ball and place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover bowl with towel and set in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour.
Vegan Pizza Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 can tomato sauce (costco has organic)
- 1 can tomato paste (costco has organic)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
Vegan Pizza Sauce Directions:
Mix everything together in a bowl.
Vegan Pizza Toppings:
- sliced mushrooms (I like the baby portabellas from costco to get my vitamin D)
- kale (costco has the huge bag of organic baby kale)
- spinach (costco has organic)
- vegan mozzarella cheese (costco has daiya now)
- kalmata olives (I know traditionally people use black olives on pizza, but they’re made with lye. Ew. Costco has organic kalmata olives)
Vegan Pizza Topping Directions:
Knead dough again. Divide in half and roll half into a thin crust. I use this rolling mat, and it has made my pizza life and cleanup SO MUCH easier! Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter or knife.
Top with sauce and toppings. I have this handy pocket pie maker that I got during valentine’s day a few years ago, but you can just as easily use a fork to press the edges closed.
Place identical shape on top and press edges with a fork or your fingers.
Place as many as you can fit on a baking stone and bake for 12-13 minutes at 450º. Remove from oven and let cool.
If you are a pizza fan, you might also like my pizza pinwheels.