♫ Listening to: 10,000 Emerald Pools by BØRNS ♫
Vegan Gluten-free Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 1 ½ cup coconut-almond milk (or sub any nondairy milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sunflower, safflower, or coconut oil
- 1 ¼ cups organic evaporated cane juice (or sub coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds (I use a coffee grinder)
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup millet flour
- ⅓ cup fava-chickpea flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Vegan Gluten-free Chocolate Cake Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Mix all the wet ingredients together (including sugar).
Sift the dry ingredients together.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing only until incorporated, but not overmixing.
Grease 3 mini cake pans.
Fill the cake pans 75% full. This should make a 3-layer mini cake for 6 people, or a 2-layer cake for 4 people with a 1-layer cake to keep for yourself (oink oink).
Bake the cakes for 26-30 minutes or until you insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean. The cake pans should be as centered in the oven as possible, and try not to open the oven door at all while baking or they may not rise properly.
Nutella Mousse Ingredients
- 1 package firm silken tofu (wrapped in a towel for a few minutes)
- ¼ cup agave (you can substitute maple syrup)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (you can substitute evaporated cane juice)
- ⅓ cup almond milk (you can use any nondairy milk.)
- ⅔ cup chocolate hazelnut butter (Justin’s, Nutiva, and Endangered Species all make vegan nutella.)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (The semi-sweet chocolate chips at Trader Joe’s are vegan and cheap, but I like the guittard ones because they’re fair trade.)
Nutella Mousse Directions
Blend the tofu, hazelnut butter, almond milk, agave, and coconut sugar until it’s smooth and creamy.
Melt the vegan chocolate chips in a double boiler (or just in a saucepan on low heat), stirring occasionally.
Add the melted vegan chocolate chips to the blender, scrape the sides, and blend again until it’s smooth and creamy.
Chill the mousse in the fridge for 2-3 hours or overnight.
Spread the mousse over the top of cake layer 1. Repeat with second (and optional third) cake layer. Cover the top and sides with nutella mousse.
Set aside the remainder.
Raspberry Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- ¼ cup vegan butter or margarine (I like the organic whipped earth balance)*
- ¼ cup spectrum organic palm shortening*
- 1 container fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar*
Raspberry Buttercream Frosting Directions
Mash around half the berries using a mortar and pestle (after picking out the prettiest ones for garnishing).
Sift in powdered sugar ½ cup at a time.
Fill one piping bag with remaining nutella mousse, and another with raspberry buttercream frosting.
Pipe icing in in any pattern you like.
Garnish with remaining raspberries.
* I use mostly organic ingredients when I cook, but I realize that not everyone has the disposable income to purchase all organic ingredients. Therefore, I only specify organic on the ingredients that really matter - when buying the organic version is the only way to ensure that the item is vegan.