♫ Listening to: I'm Sorry by Steffaloo ♫
Red Velvet Cookie Ingredients
- 2 cups unbleached or whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon beetroot powder
- ½ cup organic earth balance*
- ½ cup spectrum palm shortening*
- 1 cup organic sugar*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
Red Velvet Cookie Directions
Mix the earth balance, shortening, and sugar together on a fast speed using a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer for like 5 minutes. Turn to low.
Add the nondairy milk and extracts while mixing.
Sift in half of the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Sift and mix in the rest.
Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap to chill for 3-4 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and remove one dough ball from fridge.
Place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper to roll it out.
Trade the dough remnants with the ball that’s in the fridge. Keep cutting until the cookie sheets are full of cut outs.
Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Cool on trays for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to cooling rack.
If you’re feeling ambitious, you can spread cream cheese icing on one and stick another cookie on top to make a cookie sandwich.
* I use mostly organic ingredients when I cook, but I realize that not everyone has the disposable income to purchase all organic ingredients. Therefore, I only specify organic on the ingredients that really matter - when buying the organic version is the only way to ensure that the item is vegan.