♫ Listening to: Fineshrine by Purity Ring ♫
Vegan Mocha Cupcake Ingredients:
- ½ cup cold coffee
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (you can substitute white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar (you can substitute any vegan sugar)
- ⅓ cup safflower oil (you can substitute with sunflower or coconut oil)
- 1 ½ cups unbleached organic flour (you can substitute other flours, but keep in mind that some of the gluten-free flours absorb more liquid, so you may need to adjust the measurements to get the correct batter consistency)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
Vegan Mocha Cupcake Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
Combine vinegar and soymilk and let sit. In another bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, soda, powder, and salt.
Add oil, coffee, sugar, and vanilla to the soymilk mixture and stir well. Sift dry ingredients into the wet and mix until smooth.
Fill the baking cups about ⅔ full.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, until when you insert a toothpick into the center of one, it comes out clean. This recipe should make 12 regular-sized cupcakes.
Vegan Coffee Cream Filling Ingredients:
- 1 can coconut cream (I buy mine from Trader Joe’s), left in the fridge overnight
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon xantham gum
- 1 packet via instant coffee
Vegan Coffee Cream Filling Directions:
Whisk the ingredients until smooth in the kitchenaid. You want it to form peaks that do not fall.
Transfer into a piping bag fitted with the Ateco Decorating Tip #231. (You can substitute any tip if you don’t have this one, but keep in mind that the bigger the tip, the bigger hole it will leave in your cupcakes.)
Poke each cupcake about halfway through.
Squeeze in as much cream filling as you can without it starting to ooze out the top.
Vegan Mocha Icing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup homemade vegan butter (or sub earth balance or Miyoko’s butter)
- ¼ cup organic palm shortening
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 ½ cups organic powdered sugar
- 1 packet via or other instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons hot water
Vegan Mocha Icing Directions:
Mix the instant coffee with 3 tablespoons of hot water until it’s dissolved and place into the freezer to cool for at least 20 minutes.
Mix the butter, shortening, and vanilla extract with a kitchen aid or handheld mixer until it’s smooth and creamy.
Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a separate bowl.
Add the powdered sugar mixture slowly, mixing in between each addition.
Add a tablespoon of coffee from the freezer everytime the mixture gets too thick. I didn’t end up using all 3 tablespoons, but I think that might be because I used a little less powdered sugar than I should’ve. Just use your eye–you know what icing consistency should look like.
Pipe onto cooled cupcakes or cake. This recipe makes enough to pipe onto 12 cupcakes or if you’re spreading it with a knife, you can ice 24 cupcakes or a cake.