♫ Listening to: To The World by Strike Anywhere ♫
Makes 12 nests with 3 sausage eggs in each one
Hashbrown Nest Ingredients
- 3-4 al dente baked potatoes
- coconut oil spray (or sub melted coconut oil)
- salt and pepper
Hashbrown Nest Directions
Preheat the oven to 425°.
Peel and grate the potatoes.
Mix the potatoes with salt and pepper.
Cut 12 squares of parchment paper in as equal sizes as you can.
Press each square into the cubbies of a cupcake pan.
Oil each square of parchment paper lightly with coconut spray or oil.
Press ¼ cup of potatoes into each cubby, forcing them to stick up over the edges.
Spray the tops of the potatoes with coconut oil, and re-salt and pepper. If you don’t have an oil sprayer, you can use a silicone basting brush to apply coconut, sunflower, or safflower oil to the nests.
Bake the nests at 425° for 20-25 minutes, removing from the oven when they start to turn golden brown, but not burnt.
Sausage Bird Eggs Ingredients
- ½ an onion, finely diced or processed
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic (or sub 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small carrot
- ¾ cup cooked, canned, or refried pinto beans
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or sub soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste*
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons sage
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon hickory smoked salt
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- ⅓ cup rolled or quick oats
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
Sausage Bird Eggs Directions
making the sausage: 45-50 minutes; cooking the sausage: 1 hour
Sauté the onion in oil until soft.
Process the celery, garlic, and carrot in food processor. Add to softened onion.
Add the sautéed veggies back to the food processor along with the beans, water, soy sauce, tomato paste, and spices.
Process until smooth.
Combine gluten, oatmeal, nutritional yeast, and flax in a large mixing bowl.
Add the processed ingredients to the dry ingredients and knead for a few minutes or until you have dough. You want it to have some elasticity when it’s done being kneaded.
Boil a few inches of water topped with a steamer basket.
Line the steamer basket with cheesecloth.
Roll and shape 1 teaspoon of dough between the palms of your hands until you have an egg shaped piece.
Place it on the cheesecloth and repeat with the rest of the dough.
Steam covered for 45 minutes. They should expand.
Fry in a pan with some olive oil until sausage eggs are lightly browned.
Serve inside of the bird’s nests.
Chill leftovers and reheat in a pan or in the oven.
* I use mostly organic ingredients when I cook, but I realize that not everyone has the disposable income to purchase all organic ingredients. Therefore, I only specify organic on the ingredients that really matter - when buying the organic version is the only way to ensure that the item is vegan.