♫ Listening to: Lies by Wild Cub ♫
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced or processed
- 1 celery root (peeled & diced) or 4 celery stalks, diced or processed
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 carrots, diced or processed
- 1 turnip or 1-2 parsnips (depends on size), diced or processed
- 1 can kidney beans, well rinsed
- 2 links Field Roast sausage or Sweet Earth seitan, chopped (omit for gluten-free version)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (you can substitute soy sauce if you don’t have any)
- 1 tablespoon miso paste or 1⁄2 packet miso soup powder
- 1½ cup water
- 2-3 cup leftover mashed potatoes
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Directions
If you have an instant pot, you can use it on Sauté mode.
Sauté the diced onion and celery (if using celery) in ⅛ cup olive oil, stirring frequently over low-medium heat until translucent (about 5-7 minutes) and then add the garlic. If using an instant pot for this recipe, use the sauté button for this step.
Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté 3 more minutes.
Add carrots, parsnips or turnips, and celery root and sauté 5 more minutes.
Add the 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon thyme, ¼ teaspoon rosemary, ½ teaspoon pepper, 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon miso paste, water, mock meat, and kidney beans.
Preheat the oven to 350º.
Boil, lower heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Spoon the mixture into oven safe casserole dishes or bowls, leaving some room at the top.
Top with mashed potatoes. Purple potatoes make it look really pretty.
Place onto baking sheet before placing into oven (to catch overflow).
Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until the mashed potatoes start to turn a little bit brown on top.
Serve in bowls.