♫ Listening to: Shadowshow by iamamiwhoami ♫
My parents have a lemon tree, and periodically, they give me a bag of lemons. This is one of those times that I have an abundance of lemons. This lemon cake recipe is perfect for the winter when friends and neighbors are gifting you lemons from their trees. Since it’s eggless and dairy-free, you can even leave it sitting on the counter to make it easier to eat a slice everytime you pass by it. Optional: decorate with dried candied orange slices.
This recipe makes one loaf cake, or you can double it to make a bundt cake.
Vegan Lemon Cake Ingredients
- 2 organic lemons
- ~ a third of a cup of nondairy milk (it depends on the size of your lemons)
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup raw sugar (if you’re skipping icing, you can use 1 cup of sugar to make it sweeter)
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon organic cornstarch or tapioca flour
- a few pinches of salt
Vegan Lemon Cake Directions
Wash your organic lemons.
Peel just the yellow part of the peel off your organic lemons using a vegetable peeler (or a knife, if you don’t have one). Put those yellow peels into your blender.
Peel (or cut) the rest of the peel off the lemons and compost them.
Remove the seeds from your organic lemons and compost them.
Put the rest of the lemons into the blender.
Preheat the oven to 325°.
Blend lemons on high until no large chunks remain.
Add nondairy milk until the liquid equals 1 cup.
Oil a loaf pan (or a bundt cake pan if you’re doubling this recipe). Dust with flour.
Add the oil, vanilla, and sugar to the blended lemons and milk, and blend for 20-30 seconds.
Sift the flour, soda, powder, starch, and salt into a large bowl.
Add the blended ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until there are no dry spots.
Transfer the batter into the cake pan, using a silicone spatula to get all of it.
Bake until when you insert a toothpick into the center, it comes out clean. For a loaf, bake for 50 minutes. For a bundt, bake for an hour.
Remove from the oven and leave the cake on a cooling rack until it’s completely cooled throughout.
Remove from cake pan by jimmying the silicone spatula down the sides and bottom of the entire perimeter of the pan, and then turning the pan upside down.
Vegan Lemon Icing Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar, sifted
- any other decorations you’d like (I made some candied lemons, and you can see how to make those here)
Vegan Lemon Icing Directions
Whisk the lemon juice and powdered sugar, using a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer.
Transfer the icing to a disposable piping bag .
Pipe the icing all over the cake.
Decorate with whatever you have. I used vegan sprinkles.
Chill before transporting to ensure the cake arrives to it’s destination looking pretty.
* I use mostly organic ingredients when I cook, but I realize that not everyone has the disposable income to purchase all organic ingredients. Therefore, I only specify organic on the ingredients that really matter - when buying the organic version is the only way to ensure that the item is vegan.