♫ Listening to: Swing Life Away by Rise Against ♫
I’ve made a lot of pizza recipes in my day, from pizza waffles to pizza pinwheels, and let me just say that these pizza donuts are by far my new favorite way to consume pizza. These are even better than the pizza rolls at Timeless Coffee (our all-vegan coffee shop in the bay area)! This is a perfect recipe for anyone who has purchased donut pans and is looking for another way to use them, in order to justify the precious kitchen space they’re hogging. I’m already using this recipe to lure friends over for a slumber party. That’s how good they are! You too can have adorable pizza donut slumber parties. Just keep reading to find out how.
This recipe makes 24 pizza donuts (depending how thinly you roll your dough). They stay good in the fridge for up to a week, but you can also freeze them for future lunches.
Vegan Pizza Dough Ingredients
- 5 cups white flour (I buy organic unbleached flour)
- 2 cups warm water (around 110 degrees)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (I used organic evaporated cane juice)
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (I use pink sea salt because it has nutrients in it)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
Vegan Pizza Dough Directions
I use my kitchenaid stand mixer to do all of these steps.
Mix the yeast, water, and sugar in large bowl. Add 3 cups of the flour. Mix well to blend.
Add the salt, garlic, nutritional yeast, and remaining flour and stir well.
Place the dough on a flour covered board. Dust your hands with flour.
Knead for 5 minutes, adding flour if it gets too sticky. Roll dough into a ball and place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover bowl with towel and set in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour.
Vegan Pizza Donut Filling Ingredients
You can buy organic pizza sauce from the store instead of making it from scratch.
- 1 can organic tomato sauce (15 ounce)
- 1 can organic tomato paste (6 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- vegan pepperoni, chopped or sliced
- vegan mozzarella cheese (grated or crumbled)
Vegan Pizza Donut Filling Directions
Oil all of your donut pans well. This is important so that your pizza donuts come out easily.
Mix together all the sauce ingredients in a bowl (everything except the cheese and pepperoni).
Preheat the oven to 400º.
Knead dough again. You should have around 2.5 pounds of dough (or 40 ounces). Each pizza donut takes between 1 and 2 ounces of dough. Grab a handful (if you have a scale, you can weigh out 2 ounces, or you can just wing it like I do) and roll as thinly as possible on a floured board or silicone mat. I use this rolling mat to make my pizza life and cleanup SO MUCH easier!
Cut out large circle shapes (I used a lid to a gallon sized jar, which had a diameter of ~11cm or 4.5in).
Spread the sauce lightly leaving the edges unsauced, and then add pepperoni and cheese.
Fold the edges into the center, press down to seal, and make a hole with your thumbs.
Stick into one of the greased spots, and repeat until the pan is filled.
Here’s a video showing how I do it.
Bake for 15 minutes at 400º. Remove from oven and let cool.
* I use mostly organic ingredients when I cook, but I realize that not everyone has the disposable income to purchase all organic ingredients. Therefore, I only specify organic on the ingredients that really matter - when buying the organic version is the only way to ensure that the item is vegan.